How to keep a reference to an image in PyGimp?

I have an image. And I want to have two 'views' of the image -- not in the sense that gimp uses the word 'view', but I want an RGB version and Indexed version. I wrote a plugin to do this; if it detects a first time run (ie. no alternate views exist), it duplicates the image, converts it to GRAY mode, and stores references to the alternate views on each image. Then it tries to reconnect the displays belonging to the image to the alternate image. This succeeds, but the original image is destroyed. Is there some way that I can work around this, so that both images can be around?
I understand it occurs because there is no longer a reference to the image. Is there a way to keep a reference despite the expiry of my plugin, or some other better way to handle this problem?