Re: Vector Layers are working, give them a try!

Henk,

First off I will say that I am so grateful someone finally took on the
challenge of vector layers in gimp.  That has been the one thing preventing
me from completely switching to gimp from paint shop pro in my 3D model
work.  Major props, man.

Now, crits and comments.  I agree that the stroke/fill dialog needs work,
most especially in where it can be found accessed.  I would prefer seeing in
the right-click menu under layers--maybe that's just me.  Right now its
really hard to find--had to re-read your post a few times to find it.
However, apart from that, I think it definitely has good functionality.

I would also agree with David Bowers about the update post-mouse release.
Right now, it's little too sluggish.  If the updated stroke happened faster,
i don't think I would mind as much and even as it is right now I wouldn't
complain.  But, if we're looking for "perfect" I would say have it update
really fast rather than after the mouse button release.

Finally, I would suggest trying to find a way to link the visibility of the
path with the visibility of the vector layer.  Right now, if I want to get
rid of the path from my view, I have to perform some kind of black magic of
turning on/off the visibility of both the vector layer and the path in some
particular combination.  I would find it easier to have the one linked to
the other so that when I toggle the visibilty of the vector layer, it blanks
everything associated with it.  Terrible?  No, but it does slow down the
workflow to have to constantly be switching back to the path dialog to turn
the darn thing on and off.  More I'm thinking about this when paint 3D model
textures and I want to look at the overall texture with and without vector
elements.

Overall: 8/10   If this was part of the Gimp 2.4 release (as is) I would
completely dump Paint Shop Pro.  Then I'd have only one reason to have my
comp dual booting XP and FC5--my modeling app.