Fwd: Gimp Perspective Clone Tool

.. accidentally replied to only Sven. Message follows, I believe it's relevant.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Aug 11, 2006 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: Gimp Perspective Clone Tool
To: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>

On 8/11/06, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 15:37 +0930, David Gowers wrote:

> * Why is the 'hard edge' toggle (from the clone tool) missing? Usually
> hard edge is my preference.

Do we really need this toggle at all? You should get similar results if
you used a hard brush.

Only if I make a custom one.. With VBRs set to hardness == 1.0, it is still not fully hard, there are grey pixels in the mask as well as black and white.
Also, Subsampling would still make a mess; when I'm working at a pixel level, subsampling just gets in the way. With 'hard edge', I don't get a mess because there are no 'half-pixels' plotted; If i draw a yellow shape on a blue shape, I get two colors (yellow and blue), rather than (yellow,blue, and several intermediate colors) which makes it very hard to change colors of an area well.

Why would you want to turn off interpolation?

I am asking these questions because I would like to get a better idea of
how people are working with GIMP. This will help us to identify problems
and to find options that could be removed in order to reduce clutter.

Because clarity is important, and interpolation definitely reduces definition.
When you have sharp edges on everything, it's much easier to modify colors and select regions.. Think of cel-shaded art, typically drawn very big and then scaled down to display size.

In more general terms, I work on both large (CG) and small (pixel art/sprites) sized images, and in both cases I want to be able to control exactly which pixels are changed. Both subsampling and interpolation detract from that.