Re: menu cluttage

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 21:36:51 -0300
> From: Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris <gwidion@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re:  menu cluttage
>
> On Wednesday 05 July 2006 04:47 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, 2006-07-04 at 01:11 -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> > > Now that GIMP handles registration of the same menu item from
> > > different plug-ins, I am just waiting for the time a user reports
> > > a bug in Whirl and Pinch (for example) and doesn't realize which
> > > version they were using (as in the Python version or the C
> > > version).
> >
> > The Python version will of course not be in any stable release.
> >
> > And so far I don't see anyone complaining about my proposal to not
> > install any Python scripts at all with GIMP 2.4.
> Hey.
> It is allright for me if you do not install then- but I had
> complained. - At least count that.
>
> Actually we could think of then case by case. Almost all of then are
> just clones of other plugin/scripts, buyt, py-slice, for example, has
> only an equivalent in gimp-perl, and currently py-slice is far more
> capable.

There is an equivalent web slice written in Script-fu.  I have my own
modofied copy lying around somewhere but if I recall correctly you can
find the original in the gimp plugin registry.

It will be good to have the Python support turned on by default on windows
so that developers (script writers) can count on it being there but not
including the redundant scripts isn't any great loss.

--
Alan H.