Re: proposal for better status bar messages (long)

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 12:08:34AM +0200, Rapha?l Quinet wrote:

> Anyway, my main argument is that it would be more consistent with the
> other tools: the other selection tools, the transform tools and the
> zoom tool only consider the state of the modifiers before the first
> click.  Subsequent changes to the modifiers are ignored even if you
> spend quite some time modifying the selection, the transform parameters
> or the zoom area: only the initial state matters.
>
> I actually made the wrong assumption once or twice with the iscissors:
> I wanted to add a new area to a selection so I pressed Shift before
> clicking on the first point, then added more points, closed the shape,
> clicked inside it and poof! my selection was gone.  I naively thought
> that it would behave as described above and I did not press Shift for
> the final click.  I lost my selection and I had no way to undo/redo
> this, except by re-selecting.  But maybe I am the only one who has this
> expectation for the selection tools?  I don't know.  Only some usability
> tests could tell what is best...

i really tried to use siox this weekend.  it is so confusing, i have no
idea what to expect from it or if what happened to me was a bug.

the default is foreground extraction.  i wanted it to background extract
and toggled this tool option.  it toggled itself back to foreground and
it also could not see an honest line that was in the image.  a dark
brown/gray area that ended in a very straight line before a very bright
(luminescent even) area started (which was the background i wanted to
extract.

it would not stay toggled and it seemed to be blind to the colors no
matter what values i gave it.  it only selected what i selected which, i
could have used quickmask for and it would have been a lot less toggling
and such.

is the tool broken or are my expectations all wrong?

i am honestly way to baffled to go to bugzilla with this even.

it would be one heck of a status bar message to explain how to use this
tool.

also, the tooltips are popping up some freaking huge tool tips.  it is
the long help that is in the script-fu?  i think it was some of the
third party scripts i have installed that were doing this -- i did not
find it at all helpful.

is GIMP showing the help blurb or the about blurb from the scripts?

carol