Re: Re: Time or velocity info [Re: SOC - brush system]

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 01:52 pm, GSR - FR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> adam@xxxxxxxx (2006-05-09 at 1654.44 +0100):
> > Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried to fiddle with it once (implementing speed as a way to
> > > select the frame of animated brushes), and got mostly lost
> > > myself. All I know is that the ink tool has a different
> > > implementation that does "time smoothing"  or something to
> > > interpolate the gtk+ event time.
>
> [...]
>
> > I don't think that any other brushes at the time were velocity-
> > sensitive (are they now?), hence the private implementation.
>
> Animated brushes can be saved with such config... but it does
> nothing as it is not implemented publicly, so I guess anybody that
> tries the setting just gives up and saves with any of the other
> options from the drop downs.

Hmm.it does now - the patcjh for it has been comited some months ago -
but, it doe slittle- not very usefull without a callibration curve
and a way to smooth down the time coordinates, just as the paint tool
does.

> The other use case for using the time is the airbrush. I looked at
> it time ago and looked again due this thread, first idea was
> checking the remaining of airbrush timer, but there seems to be
> none (yet?). It is required as airbrush stamps every X time, but if
> you move faster, the effect of time is ignored, getting stronger
> stampings than what really should happen.
>
> So no, there is no current use of velocity, but just cos it is not
> implemented, and thus nobody thinks about possible uses. Sounds a
> bit recursive. ;]

Ok - there is a velocity setting on the animated brushes, so we broke
the recursion...we just need a volunteer to factor out the ink tool
use of it, and implement a velocity calibration curve for the
strokes.
:-)