SOC - brush system

I'm considering creating a new brush system for the GIMP as part of the
Summer of Code in order to make GIMP more suitable to digital painting.
I've made some contributions to the project before, but it has been a
while. Can anyone comment on how extensive changes to the rest of the
codebase would need to be, how this would be affected by the future
incorporation of GEGL, and whether this could be completed in the
allotted time?

Thanks,
Philip