Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp-remote

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 02:51:00AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> <pcg@xxxxxxxx ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann )> writes:
>
> >> Would you mind to explain what sort of problems that would be? If we
> >
> > mozilla ./file
> >
> > => file not acesssible (permission denied, other user, inaccessible dir)
> > => file not accessible (different machine)
> > => file not acesssible (different filesystem view)
> >
> > Assuming that a process has exactly the same view of the filesystem
> > as any other is in general not true. Comparing hostnames helps
> > somewhat in the first case.
>
> I see the point. But it would be trivial to take care of this,
> wouldn't it? The remote protocol would have to check if the instance
> of gimp that is already running on the current X server is a local
> process or not. Did I miss something obvious?

I think the behavior should be as follows:

By default, gimp should try to connect to a running instance, but *only*
if it's on the same machine and running as the same user. gimp --remote
(or if argv[0] == gimp-remote) should always attempt to connect to a
running instance, and honor the args that the current gimp-remote has.
And gimp --new-instance always starts a new instance.

The default in absence of a command line argument should be controlled
by an environment variable, for people with uncommon setups (like,
differing filesystem views).

That should make everyone happy.

-Yosh