Re: [Gimp-developer] CVS HEAD dependency on glib-2.6 / gtk+-2.6

On Friday 04 February 2005 07:44, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 21:12, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > Mitch, me and probably others already have some changes pending that
> > would introduce a dependency on gtk+-2.6. So far we have usually
> > waited until a package reaches debian testing before depending on it.
> > Since gtk+-2.6 only just yesterday appeared in debian unstable, this
> > would mean waiting at least another nine days. Now I wonder if that's
> > worth it. I'd rather ask you to speak up if you want to hack on GIMP
> > CVS and a dependency on gtk+-2.6 would cause you serious problems. If
> > noone objects, we will bump the minimum required gtk+ version this
> > weekend.
>
> I haven't tried to compile gtk-2.6 for Mandrake yet. At the worst case, I
> can install it from source using ./configure --prefix=.

Well, now I tried to compile and install gtk-2.6 on Mandrake 10.1. I used the
Cooker Source RPMs, and compiled them each in turn. gtk+-2.6.0 required the
new version of pango, which in turn required the new version of automake 1.8
to be compiled. The compilation of the automake 1.8 RPM took a long time due
to the fact that all the tests was run. There's a macro in the beginning of
the RPM SPEC that instructs the tests not to run, so I suggest people either
set it to false or install the automake-1.8 compiled RPM.

That was my main problem. After that everything mostly went well. When I
installed the gtk RPMs, I got a file conflict with one of the files of
gtk-engines2, so I had to use "rpm --replacefiles". Compiling the new
gtk-engines2 RPM worked, but trying to install it ended up in other packages
that required it as a dependency, so I did not go into there.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxx