Re: [Gimp-developer] jpeg-exif development summary

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 11:24 -0800, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Sven Neumann writes:
> > Assuming your camera adds EXIF info, are you seriously telling me that
> > you do not run 'exiftran -a -i' on each and every image you ever shoot
> > and instead use GIMP to rotate them?
>
> Add another voice to all the others saying "No, I leave my originals
> untouched, and only edit copies".
>
> In fact, I don't think I'd ever met anyone who regularly ran
> exiftran on every archived original, until this discussion.
> Exiftran isn't even installed by default on any linux distro I've
> used.  Is it commonly found on mac and windows machines?

I don't think it matters whether one uses exiftran, jpegtran or gthumb
to do the lossless JFIF rotation. Being explicitly told by the software
that the action is lossless, I don't see a reason why to tilt my head
every time I want to browse my photos or keep duplicates just because of
this.

Unless I'm being told untruth about the losslessness (soundss great,
doesn't it?), the metaphor of not messing around with negatives isn't
appropriate.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxxx>