Re: [Gimp-developer] canvas background options

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:39:58 +0100
> From: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] canvas background options
>
> Hi,
>
> Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I can understand how that would require you to change it regularly
> > and why you might want a menu item for it.  How did you like how the
> > feature was presented in 2.0 or were you unaware of it until it was
> > given a prominant menu item?
>
> Hiding useful functionality in some obscure button with a right-click
> popup menu in the image corner is not really good user interface
> design and I am very much surprised that you don't consider this
> change an improvement.

Given my previous comments that is understandable and I think
discoverability is important but it doesn't make sense to have a seperate
menu item for every obscure feature and to me this is most definately an
obscure feature.  (most of the time I shrink wrap my images and dont even
see the canvas padding, if I wanted to regularly preview images against a
black background I would probably configure the Fullscreen mode for that
purpose)

Perhaps I might have been less quick to complain if it had been only one
menu item that shows a dialog but it is not, it is a submenu with several
menu items and that seems a lot like clutter to me.

> We also needed that space in the upper right corner for a more useful
> and less obscure feature that is also being offered in other
> applications: linking the image zoom ratio to the window size.

That does seem like a good idea of itself but I dont think it makes the
menu items for Canvas Padding idea any better than a workaround.

I'm surprised that enough users would be changing the setting often enough
to want to be able to set it on a once off per window basis, I would have
though that a single global preference would to override the toolkit
default would have been enough (which is as far as I can go towards
offering an alternative implementation).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan