[Gimp-developer] open thumbnail and raw files

The gimp Open Image dialog contains preview thumbnail. To generate them, gimp calls the plugin to generate them. Now, for raw digital camera files (.nef, .crw ...) this is a very expensive operation - and obviously one would love to use the prepared/pre-stored thumbnail which exists in the file.

From what I could see, there is no way I (the plugin author) can detect if the call is for a thumbnail or not.

Can someone tell me if I am right or wrong?

If wrong - how do I do it?
If right, is there a chance this can be changed?

Thanks, Joseph