Re: [Gimp-developer] Wishes

On 16 Sep 2004 21:03:12 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "William Skaggs" <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > 1) The fact that selection tools move things if you click inside the
> >    selection. . . .  In fact, it actually makes
> >    things harder for me more often than it makes things easier.

> Oh? I don't remember to have heard complaints about this before.  IMO
> this is a very useful feature since it makes working with the
> selection tools so intuitive.

I'll second that it's sometimes annoying, although it's sometimes nice
to have.  When I've thought about it before, I've come to the
conclusion that for me it's nice more often than annoying,  but I can
see how Bill can come to the opposite conclusion.

> IMHO what needs to be done to ease your
> workflow is to let the selection tools modify an existing selection by
> allowing the user to drag the selection borders or some handles
> located at the borders. We would first have to use vectors for the
> selection though.

Yes, we've talked about that before, and I think it would be a pretty
nice improvement, although certainly not trivial to implement.  Is
there a Bugzilla for it already?

> > 2) The fact that Tool Options persist across sessions, which means that
> >    any unusual option I use for some momentary reason is bound to come
> >    back to haunt me in a later session.  I wish at least I could set a
> >    preference so that all tool options would be reset to their defaults
> >    at the beginning of each session.
>
> This preference option was planned from the very beginning. Didn't we
> add it already? Oh well, I think we didn't. There's a simple way to
> work around it though: "rm -rf ~/.gimp-2.1/tool-options". Probably
> because of this workaround, we have never added the preference.

I have a feeling that most people expect the tool options to not
persist.  If nothing else, I think it would be more useful to be able
to save a tool options state manually and have gimp automatically
restore to that.

Rockwalrus