Re: [Gimp-developer] Wishes

Hi,

"William Skaggs" <weskaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>   GIMP has its share of annoying features, and its share of great features,
> but there are two features that I find especially annoying, and wish I could
> make go away.
>
> 1) The fact that selection tools move things if you click inside the
>    selection.  Even knowing this perfectly well, I am still bound to
>    move things accidentally at least half a dozen times in any long
>    GIMPing session.  Even when I get it right, I still have to think
>    about it each time I make a selection.  In fact, it actually makes
>    things harder for me more often than it makes things easier.  If, for
>    example, I make a rectangle selection too large, I have to first click
>    somewhere to remove the selection, instead of just redoing it.  I wish I
>    could just let selection tools select, and move things either with the
>    move tool or by holding down the Alt key.

Oh? I don't remember to have heard complaints about this before.  IMO
this is a very useful feature since it makes working with the
selection tools so intuitive. IMHO what needs to be done to ease your
workflow is to let the selection tools modify an existing selection by
allowing the user to drag the selection borders or some handles
located at the borders. We would first have to use vectors for the
selection though.

> 2) The fact that Tool Options persist across sessions, which means that
>    any unusual option I use for some momentary reason is bound to come
>    back to haunt me in a later session.  I wish at least I could set a
>    preference so that all tool options would be reset to their defaults
>    at the beginning of each session.

This preference option was planned from the very beginning. Didn't we
add it already? Oh well, I think we didn't. There's a simple way to
work around it though: "rm -rf ~/.gimp-2.1/tool-options". Probably
because of this workaround, we have never added the preference.

Sven