Re: [Gimp-developer] New Image dialog usability bug

Ok, just to drop my 2 cents in here:

I think that changing the units on the new image dialog should not
convert the numbers typed in, unless if explicitly desired.

On Friday 10 September 2004 09:11, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dave Neary <dneary@xxxxxxx> writes:
> > > Apart from the fact that it looks like crap,
> >
> > That's subjective, I don't think it does. But perhaps a mock-up
> > would resolve that issue...
>
> I already said that the dialog design is owned by Tigert and
> Jimmac. Without their approval (and mockup) there isn't going to be
> any changes anyway.
>
> > I presumed that we would change it everywhere. There is no change
> > in behaviour, merely a change in the position of the units.
>
> We can't do that since it would break lots of existing code. Code
> that is not under our control since it lives in external plug-ins.
> The only thing we could do is to write a new widget and change
> hundreds of places in the GIMP source tree.

Like we say around here, "you are doing a storm  in a glass of water".
A simple and elegant solution would be to add an "auto-convert" bool
property to the widget, that is on by default. The new image dialog
would just set this "auto-convert" to false.

No compatibility issues. And this behavior could even be changeable as
part of the preferences. (Or, in this particular instance of the
widget, tehre could be put a chain link GIMP widget to the right of
the entries. Maybe, the chain indicating auto-conversion could be
added by default to the widget as a whole increasing the flexibility
of The GIMP in tenths of dialogs.

> Sven

JS