Re: [Gimp-developer] Another new image dialog mockup

On 8 May 2004, at 19:51, Jakub Steiner wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 21:06 -0700, Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

> > I took a look at the new image dialogs on the list today, and I made
> > a few improvements.  I've posted them at
> > http://wilber.gimp.org/~rock/NewDialogSimple.png and
> > http://wilber.gimp.org/~rock/NewDialogExpanded.png
>
> To only give you constructive crits. The template control is not
> accessible with a mnemonic. If it used only a label, it would then go
> against the suggestion not to mix framed an unframed elements. Yup,
> that's why we ended up putting it in the size frame.
>
> The memory requirement may be a good improvement. However the size of
> the thing scares me. It really adds visual noise and I feel the icon
> grabbing more attention than anything else. The most important thing
> on the dialog remains the dimensions.

At the moment you are getting that warning, surely the warning is the
most important thing in the dialog?

Perhaps you should not mix and match error dialogs with other types
of dialogs, but conjuring up an extra dialog for the warning would
seem overkill to me.

If you want to plan for the contingency that the user accidentally or
purposely chooses a image size that is larger than his/her indicated
preference, you could allow the user several options upon receiving
the warning: 1) Ignore warning, 2) Suggest size. In both cases, you
could remove the warning from the dialog. In essence the dialog would
become an image creation wizard, but then again, chances of this
happening are fairly low.

--
branko collin
collin@xxxxxxxxx