[Gimp-developer] reporting bugs on builds

I just got rebuked by Sven for reporting bugs that are strictly
related to Jernej Simoncic's MS Windows builds of the GIMP.
Apparently, Bugzilla is only there for reporting bugs on the stuff
that WGO distributes.

In a way, that definitely makes sense.

However, anyone who uses a pre-compiled build cannot know beforehand
what part of the bugs are build related, and what part GIMP related.
Especially MS Windows users, who may not (and should not!) have a
concept of build versus source distribution to begin with, may find
it difficult to make the distinction.

Would it be useful to devise a system in which all users can file
GIMP related bug reports, whether they have bearing only on the build
they are using or on all of the GIMP?

I can imagina having either a 'GIMP builds' product that build
related reports can be moved to, or having a 'builds' compononent.

Of course, this would put the burden of triage on the GIMP developers
who are currently doing that, but it might avoid reporters being
scared away by curt WONTFIX replies.

--
branko collin
collin@xxxxxxxxx