[Gimp-developer] What makes the GIMP toolbox special?

Following the discussion in bug #115092 and according to Sven's
suggestion, I am moving a part of the discussion here: what is
special about the GIMP toolbox, from a user's point of view?  What
makes it different from the other docks?

There are some subtle differences that are internal and IMHO not
important from the user's point of view: the code currently keeps some
references to that window because it contains the brush, pattern,
gradient and color indicators but these will probably change or go
away soon.  Also, its title is handled differently from the other dock
windows and there are other internal differences due to the fact that
the code of the GIMP must have at least one window to start with.  But
if we look at the remaining differences (again, from the user's point
of view, not from the code point of view), what is left?

- The toolbox has a menu bar.
- The toolbox contains the buttons for switching tools.

Apart from these differences, I consider the toolbox to be just
another dock:
- one can drag tabs to and from it,
- one can move and resize it
- its state is saved accross sessions,
- it is a controller window that allows the user to perform some
  actions on the current (active) image.

As I wrote in bug #115092, I don't think that any user would be
surprised if we allowed the menu and the tool buttons to be dragged
from the toolbox to any other dock.  In fact, it would be nice to add
this feature to a future release.  Is there anything else that makes
the toolbox special in the GIMP user interface?

-Raphaël