Re: [Gimp-developer] more tasks, the preferences and user install dialogs

Hi,

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 02:55, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Another dialog that could need some finetuning is the Preferences
> dialog. Fortunately the code isn't half as complex as the dialog might
> make you think. Reordering controls in the dialog basically just means
> reordering code in the one large function that sets it all up from top
> to bottom. And some reordering is what is needed here. Some pages grew
> too large, others host one or two lonely widgets. A few things that
> come my mind are:
>
> - There should probably be a page about "Session Management" where all
>   the "Save this", "Don't store that" settings can go that are in
>   "User Interface" now. We will probably want to make saving of
>   tool-options configurable as well; so that setting could also go
>   there. That brings us directly to the next point
>
> - The "Tool Options" page only has two controls left which are both
>   sort of redundant. The Default Threshold is not that useful any
>   longer since tools remember their settings.  The "Default
>   Interpolation" setting is still important but mainly for providing a
>   default for scaling images or layers. It thus doesn't belong here.
>
> - The "Web Browser" setting should probably move to the Help page.  It
>   doesn't fit perfectly there but I'd like to have it next to the Help
>   Browser setting since it's related.
>
> - Some vertical spacing between frames would probably make things look
>   better.

I've startet to work on the above preferences dialog issues... will
commit something in the next few days.

If anybody have further suggestions for improving the preferences dialog
please don't hesitate to reply to this thread on the developer mailing
list.

Sincerely,
./Brix
--