Re: [Gimp-developer] A fresh pair of eyes.

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 21:24:51 +0200, "Branko Collin" <collin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2003, at 15:43, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Simon Budig wrote:
[...]
> > > Uh, making all the long time GIMP users grumpy because the shortcuts
> > > they are used to use do no longer work and they have to reconfigure
> > > them to the old default "costs nothing"?
> >
> > You mean the existing GIMP users dont already have custom menurc
> > files? You mean if we provided a GIMP 1.2 menurc for those who wanted
> > it, our current users dont already know how to change a menurc?  (we
> > need an Inteface for this, and I need to make sure there is a bug
> > report about it). You mean GIMP doesn't allow you to migrate your old
> > settings when you upgrade to a new version?
>
> Since I have no way of looking on the harddisks of all GIMP's users,
> I have no way of knowing, but I am guessing that, indeed, a large
> number of the current GIMP users do not have custom menurcs, and do
> not know how to change those.

I don't think that it could be done in time for 2.0, but it would have
been nice to use a Photoshop-friendly menurc as the default for 2.0 and
insert the following stuff in the user installation step:

- Check if the user has a ~/.gimp or ~/.gimp-1.2 directory.
- If not, install the new menurc without asking any questions.
- If yes, insert a page with the following question as part of the
  user installation dialogs: "Version 2.0 of the GIMP comes with a
  new set of keyboard shortcuts that should be more convenient for
  new users.  You have been using a previous version of the GIMP, so
  you may want to keep the old shortcuts instead.  Please select one
  of the following options:
  [X] Use the new GIMP 2.0 shortcuts
  [ ] Use the old GIMP 1.x shortcuts (not customized)
  [ ] Copy your existing shortcuts (customized)

Now that I think about it, the whole "upgrade" part is something that
would be (have been) very nice to have in 2.0: helping the user to
move from an older version of the GIMP to the current one, letting the
user choose what should be copied over.

-Raphaël