Re: [Gimp-developer] Startup Notification support...

Hi Sven,

On Monday 28 July 2003 4:55 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Could you please explain what's so painful about it? Almost all
> distributions include packages for it for quite some time already and
> even compiling from source is pretty much straight-forward.

OK, maybe "painful" was an exaggeration; really it was just time-consuming;
I'm using SuSE 8.0, and don't have -devel packages for even gtk+-1.2 packages
on the original CDs.

The point I was trying to make was that needing full devel packages for all of
the GTK2 stuff, including Pango-FT2 (and hence FreeType itself and
Xft2/FontConfig) does constitute a barrier-to-entry (especially with a 56K
dialup net connection), and is not something I'd go through just to play with
the latest version of one particular app.

Doing it for a specific purpose (i.e. adapting my patch for the latest version
of GIMP) is a different matter entirely, but in the first instance a patch
will be developed because someone saw a need in a piece of software they were
using - and in most cases that will be the Stable version.  The release of
2.0 will make a big difference, because binary packages will become standard
in distributions, so people will be using 2.0 when they recognise a
particular need...

> Please note that during the 1.3 development process we did never
> depend on the very latest versions of the required libraries. We
> always assured that even debian testing which is a very conservative
> distribution has the packages available that are needed to build
> GIMP-1.3. If we decided to change our dependencies to a newer version,
> we always checked if this is really necessary.

Yes, I wasn't complaining of bleeding-edge requirements as such - merely
attempting to explain a phenomenon that had been noted, and to which I had
contributed :)

Ultimately though, GTK2 build environments are still not as common as GTK1
build environments, so for many people, building the stable version is less
hassle.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson
Email: blackfive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Amount of pizza eaten each day in the U.S.: 75 acres.  -- "Harper's Magazine"