Re: Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: [Gimp-developer] the user installer]

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:
>
> > Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:57:18 +0200
> > From: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
> > To: Alan Horkan <horkana@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Cc: gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: Menubar in fullscreen mode [Re: [Gimp-developer] the user
> >     installer]
> >
> > Hi,

> > > (Gimp 1.3.4) I had the menubar turned on I expected to still have the
> > > menubar in fullscreen mode.
> >
> > I don't understand your answer but just to clarify my sentence I will
> > describe the behaviour of fullscreen mode for you. By default, if you
>
> I expected the menubar to stay on in fullscreen mode.  I just wanted to
> point out that my expectations were different from what happened, which I
> realise is unneccessary information from your point of view.  (I only have
> a recent build at home so it takes me a while to check these things).

This actually could be a serious usablity issue, since a user who has the
menubar on (which a distro might set as default) after going to fullscreen
mode might not be able to figure out how to get the menubar back, or even
how to return to windowed mode.

(bah, watching actual real users in usablity tests at work stumble around
when using really fairly simple interfaces has caused me to loose all
faith in the intelligence of humanity.  Then again, our users are actual
real users, too.)

Seriously, though, it would be a much better behavior to keep the menubar
when the window is made fullscreen.  A user that prefers a menubar will
probably prefer one in fullscreen mode also.  Besides, a user with a clue
will be able to turn off the menubar anyway.

Rockwalrus