[Gimp-developer] Re: red-eye-removal (was: Debugging?)

On 2003-06-16 at 1043.03 +0300, Dov Grobgeld typed this:
> I just had a look at the two plug-ins for fun of it and they
> doing part of the problem differently, which means that the perl
> program looks more complicated than necessarry. The
> scheme plugin uses the plug-in plug-in-colors-channel-mixer to
> do the actual color mixing, whereas the perl plug-in accesses the
> pixels itself. Accessing pixels always gets dirty, because of the tile
> based approach of gimp. Actually, I think that Marc Lehmann's use
> of PDL for the job is very elegant. But I'm sure that it can be
> confusing to have to learn another huge sublanguage (which PDL
> is).

the perl plug-ins were/are wonderful.  i use the heck out of some of
them.  i ask only not to have to *read* them anymore.  something about
that language makes this plug-in a sad read.  i hope i did not say not
to write them.  it is the reading part that i cannot endure.

i have done everything that is humanly possible to get perl ported to
gimp-1.3 and the plug-ins as well.  okay, short of begging a scary hero.
it is not my fault that it was easier to find people to rewrite them in
other script.  how about making a splash screen contest so i could show
the splash that me and bit and cameron made?

i can't read it.  and when i can, it can be chilling.

> So if you want to compare syntax, please compare the same approach
> in the different languages.
>
> I'm curious, does the python plug-in allow you to access the
> pixels?

Dov, i have no idea.  i just know that i am able to use the little
pieces.  it doesn't allow my imagination to run away with me.  i can
start working on a plug-in (armed with a lot of little pieces located
in two directories on my computer), get distracted, go back to it in a
few weeks and still be able to figure out what was going on.

okay, in truth, i got stuck at the same place with both scripting
languages on my cross-stitch plug-in.  the point where the xpm gets
read in and handled.  when i get the chance, i think i can actually
handle this with python, eventually and with a lot of help; but. i don't
think i will ever be able to sort through it with perl.  and i am truly
humbled by those who can.

good heavens, please don't stop writing perl!

carol