[Gimp-developer] Re: Re: 1.2.4

On 2003-05-11 at 2053.53 +0200,  Marc A. Lehmann  typed this:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:04:33PM -0400, Carol Spears <cspears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The other alternative would be to do seperate releases (i.e. rip it out).
> > >
> > does this mean separate downloads for people who want current gimp-1.2?
>
> Well, people who want it usually do sth. like "apt-get upgrade", so it
> already is a seperate download ;) People who download the source would
> need two downloads them, of course (or use CPAN).
>
> It has proven to be very difficult to integrate some plug-ins, especially
> the perl plug-in, since it's not only difficult to integrate it with
> automake, but plain impossible, since people expect gimp-perl to work
> with the vendor-supplied perl as well as with gimp, which often is plain
> impossible.
>
> That's not a problem on linux and freebsd, and I assumed that admins of
> such broken osses like irix (I am one) would know about these issues, but
> this seemed to have been a wrong assumption.
>
> Seperating gimp-perl from gimp would help pinpoint problems. If gimp works
> but gimp-pelr fails to link, this narrows down the area wheer one has to
> look.
>
> Also, since gimp-perl is now part of every normal distribution the
> pressure to distribute it with gimp is not as big.
>
> Wether it makes _sense_ to do that in the maintainance branch is a totally
> different question.

please don't do this in the 1.2 branch.  i would love to strip the extra
stuff from gimp and offer them in a more educational environment (if you
need it) but it would be bad to suddenly revert to this old way of
getting gimp-perl at what might be the very last release.  a mess for
the web site also.  this would be a web maintenance concern

it would be nice also, if someone would get perl working in the new
branch.  this is more like one users pipedream, however.

carol