Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: 1.2.4

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:04:33PM -0400, Carol Spears <cspears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The other alternative would be to do seperate releases (i.e. rip it out).
> >
> does this mean separate downloads for people who want current gimp-1.2?

Well, people who want it usually do sth. like "apt-get upgrade", so it
already is a seperate download ;) People who download the source would
need two downloads them, of course (or use CPAN).

It has proven to be very difficult to integrate some plug-ins, especially
the perl plug-in, since it's not only difficult to integrate it with
automake, but plain impossible, since people expect gimp-perl to work
with the vendor-supplied perl as well as with gimp, which often is plain
impossible.

That's not a problem on linux and freebsd, and I assumed that admins of
such broken osses like irix (I am one) would know about these issues, but
this seemed to have been a wrong assumption.

Seperating gimp-perl from gimp would help pinpoint problems. If gimp works
but gimp-pelr fails to link, this narrows down the area wheer one has to
look.

Also, since gimp-perl is now part of every normal distribution the
pressure to distribute it with gimp is not as big.

Wether it makes _sense_ to do that in the maintainance branch is a totally
different question.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@xxxxxxxx      |e|