Re: [Gimp-developer] Pattern image licenses

On 21 Jul 2002, at 15:07, Kelly Martin wrote:

> > <http://cvs.gnome.org> seems to imply that somebody called sopwith
> > has uploaded these two files to the CVS-tree gimp-data-min.
> >
> > However, sopwith appears all over these directories, both for
> > changes made by <mailto:matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and by
> > <mailto:adrian@xxxxxxxx>.
>
> "sopwith" (Elliot Lee) made the original checkin of the current CVS
> tree, so a Really Old file checked in by sopwith probably means a file
> introduced to the GIMP prior to whenever the prior CVS repository went
> byebye (1998 sometime, I think).  I think, but am not entirely sure,
> that the two patterns being referenced were part of 0.56, which would
> mean they trace back to S&P.  However, I seem also to recall that some
> of the pattern files in 0.56 were, um, questionably appropriated from
> other sources (including Adobe).  I think the long and the short is
> that we don't really know where they came from or who (if anyone)
> holds a copyright interest in them.

(This is a reply to a message from last year.)

I just downloaded and installed GIMP 1.3.14, and see it still uses
those questionable pattern images. Would it be a good idea to make
some new patterns and put them in the public domain explicitely?
Perhaps the FSF could help with that, by keeping the files.

(I cc'ed to Sopwith, so he may perhaps shed some light on where those
images came from.)

--
branko collin
collin@xxxxxxxxx