Re: [Gimp-developer] Pattern image licenses

  However, I seem also to recall that some of the pattern files
in 0.56 were, um, questionably appropriated from other sources (including
Adobe).  I think the long and the short is that we don't really know where
they came from or who (if anyone) holds a copyright interest in them.

Should they really be distributed along with GIMP then? This could be a horrible disservice to someone creating art using GIMP and later finding out that his works contain copyrighted material owned by someone else.

Alexander Maryanovsky.

At 15:07 7/21/2002 -0500, Kelly Martin wrote:
> <http://cvs.gnome.org> seems to imply that somebody called sopwith
> has uploaded these two files to the CVS-tree gimp-data-min.
>
> However, sopwith appears all over these directories, both for changes
> made by <mailto:matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and by
> <mailto:adrian@xxxxxxxx>.

"sopwith" (Elliot Lee) made the original checkin of the current CVS tree, so
a Really Old file checked in by sopwith probably means a file introduced to
the GIMP prior to whenever the prior CVS repository went byebye (1998
sometime, I think).  I think, but am not entirely sure, that the two
patterns being referenced were part of 0.56, which would mean they trace
back to S&P.  However, I seem also to recall that some of the pattern files
in 0.56 were, um, questionably appropriated from other sources (including
Adobe).  I think the long and the short is that we don't really know where
they came from or who (if anyone) holds a copyright interest in them.

Kelly