Re: [Gimp-developer] sourceforge cvs issue

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:38:28 +0000, Tor Lillqvist <tml@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Raphaël Quinet writes:
>  > From my point of view, I think that it would be better to integrate
>  > these changes before the 1.2.4 release.
>
> It's just that maybe half of the changes are really quite ugly hacks
> to get non-ASCII file and directory names working somewhat better on
> Windows, where GTK+ 1.3.0 uses UTF-8. Example:  [...]

Hmmm...  Sure, this is not very clean.  On the other hand, there are a
couple of quick workarounds that have been introduced in the 1.2.x
branch while the proper solutions have only been implemented in the
1.3.x branch.  IIRC, there is at least one piece of code in the 1.2.x
branch that contains a comment stating that the following code is a
temporary hack that is fixed in the 1.3.x branch only.

So I think that some #ifdef's are acceptable in the maintenance branch
because this is only a temporary solution for a problem that has been
solved differently in the main branch.  But I would like to hear the
opinions of Yosh, Sven or Mitch about this.

> The random number generator changes aren't that ugly, but still, might
> conceivably be considered API changes as they might well cause for
> instance a plug-in to use rand48() instead of a previously hardcoded
> rand() on some Unix variant. (The plug-ins in my version all use
> RAND_FUNC, SRAND_FUNC and G_MAXRAND, while previously some hardcoded
> rand() and whatnot.) This will cause different results from some
> identical script-fu script invokation. [...]

I could also take the opposite point of view and say that the current
GIMP is broken because invoking the same script on different platforms
gives different results, even if the script is started with the same
random seed.  If I publish a tutorial explaining how to get a nice
effect by using some plug-ins, then some users will get a different
result from what was intented.  And these differences occur not only
between the Windows version and some UNIX versions, but also between
several UNIX variants.

I know that this issue has been discussed in bug #67386 and Sven's
opinion was that we should not get different results in the stable
branch (different from one version to the next).  But we already get
different results if we use the GIMP on different platforms...

Anyway, there are pros and cons for applying or not applying the
changes to the random number generator.  Regarding the UTF-8 hacks,
I think that it would be nice to have them in the common codebase.
But again, I would like to hear the opinions of other developers
first.

-Raphaël