Re: [Gimp-developer] sourceforge cvs issue

Raphaël Quinet writes:
 > From my point of view, I think that it would be better to integrate
 > these changes before the 1.2.4 release.

It's just that maybe half of the changes are really quite ugly hacks
to get non-ASCII file and directory names working somewhat better on
Windows, where GTK+ 1.3.0 uses UTF-8. Example:

 	      status != PDB_CANCEL)
 	    {
+#ifdef GDK_USE_UTF8_MBS
+	      gchar *utf8_filename = g_filename_to_utf8 (filename, -1, NULL, NULL, NULL);
+	      g_message (_("Save failed.\n%s"), utf8_filename);
+	      g_free (utf8_filename);
+#else
 	      g_message (_("Save failed.\n%s"), filename);
+#endif
 	    }

The random number generator changes aren't that ugly, but still, might
conceivably be considered API changes as they might well cause for
instance a plug-in to use rand48() instead of a previously hardcoded
rand() on some Unix variant. (The plug-ins in my version all use
RAND_FUNC, SRAND_FUNC and G_MAXRAND, while previously some hardcoded
rand() and whatnot.) This will cause different results from some
identical script-fu script invokation. Example:

-#define	RANDOM               ((gdouble) ((gdouble) rand ()/((gdouble) G_MAXRAND)))
+#define	RANDOM               ((gdouble) ((gdouble) RAND_FUNC ()/((gdouble) G_MAXRAND)))

-  srand (VALS.seed);
+  SRAND_FUNC (VALS.seed);

I don't know. I agree that it would be nice to have a common 1.2.4
release, but OTOH, the UTF-8 conversion stuff is really just hacks to
cope with my (in hindsight) misguided decision to use UTF-8 already in
GTK+ 1.3.0 on Windows.

 > It would be nice if everybody could focus on the 1.3.x development
 > once 1.2.4 is relased.

Agree. My personal opinion is not to merge those changes in and get on
with getting 1.2.4 released. The changes don't affect core GIMP
functionality anyway, so we can IMHO still say that GIMP 1.2.4 uses
the same codebase on Unix and Windows. If the changes aren't merged
in, and somebody builds GIMP on Windows from official sources, they
will notice difference in behaviour compared to "my" build only in the
handling of non-ASCII filenames, and in some random number generator
dependent plug-ins.

A fresh "cvs diff -u2" of my GIMP directory is at
www.iki.fi/tml/gimp.my-diffs

--tml