Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: dependable contributions lists

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:20:28 -0500, Carol Spears <cspears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2002-12-05 at 1320.57 +0100, Rapha?l Quinet typed this:
> > On 05 Dec 2002 12:42:28 +0100, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > However I don't think we want to build this file automatically from
> > > CVS. [...]
> > So it would be rather difficult to extract the names of the contributors
> > from the CVS logs automatically.  The best solution is to rely on the
> > AUTHORS file that is updated by hand, until we find a better solution.
>
> i am worried that if you make it too hard of a job, you will scare away
> anyone that might like to help.

Well, I think that both Sven and I agree on the fact that we should not
try to build the list of GIMP contributors automatically.  Updating it
by hand is the best solution for the moment, because any automated
solution would be far too complex or unfair (having an unfair list is
probably worse than having no list or an outdated list).

What do we want to do with the AUTHORS file (or any list of GIMP
contributors)?  The last time this was discussed on this list, the
decision was that it should list the names of all those who have ever
made a significant contribution to the GIMP, without trying to evaluate
how important this contribution was nor in which area it was (core code,
plug-in code, documentation, translations, bug hunting, etc.).  People
who stop contributing are not removed from the list; that's why Spencer
and Peter are still there (and they should be, IMHO).

If most people on this list agree that we should not try to sort this
list in any way or to make it more detailed than it is now, then keeping
the AUTHORS file up-to-date is not very difficult: we only have to add
the names of those who have made a significant contribution since the
last update.  But if, on the other hand, you want to change the purpose
of that list and remove those who haven't contributed recently or sort
the list by area or by "importance of the contribution" (whatever that
means), then we should first decide on what we want before trying to
implement something.

-Raphaël