[Gimp-developer] Re: dependable contributions lists

On 2002-12-05 at 1320.57 +0100, Rapha?l Quinet typed this:
> On 05 Dec 2002 12:42:28 +0100, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > However I don't think we want to build this file automatically from
> > CVS. We often apply patches from people that don't have CVS commit
> > access. I'd like to see the names of the patch authors in the list of
> > contributors but it's not trivial to extract them from the ChangeLog
> > entries. So perhaps we should continue to update the file manually.
>
> Yes.  When I suggested the Bonsai cvsquery in my previous mail, I did
> not mean to suggest that it should be used to get a list of contributors
> automatically.  This was only a way for someone to get an overview.
> Counting the CVS commits would be unfair because that would exclude
> those who do not have CVS commit access.  And although the names of the
> patch authors are usually mentioned in the ChangeLog entry, they are
> sometimes mentioned by first name only, sometimes by full name,
> sometimes by e-mail address and sometimes by giving a reference to a
> Bugzilla entry.
>
> So it would be rather difficult to extract the names of the contributors
> from the CVS logs automatically.  The best solution is to rely on the
> AUTHORS file that is updated by hand, until we find a better solution.

you guys can play with the cvs logs as much as you want.  having filled
out a cvs log and a hand edited ChangeLog -- i would really rather use
(and read) the hand edited one.

just something to run it the directory, grab the first 10 entries and
spit it into some html.  the only cvs log i would need is for
gimp-print.

i am worried that if you make it too hard of a job, you will scare away
anyone that might like to help.