Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP Image Size Limits

Sven Neumann wrote:
> > One more question related to size limits:  How many bytes per pixel does the
> > pixel cache use?  I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer is 5 based on
> > the image sizes where I'm running into problems.  That's what ImageMagick
> > uses for its pixel cache, and I run into problem at almost exactly the same
> > image size.
>
> the answer is 1 for grayscale/indexed, 3 for RGB. Add another byte
> if your image has an alpha channel and another 4 bytes for the
> projection. The latter used to allocated copy-on-write at some
> point. Unfortunately this feature has been disabled (at least to my
> knowledge)

I got the projection to a state where COWing from a simple source
image worked but came across a showstopper bug, which is why it should
be disabled until someone can fix the COW tile system's inability to
(IIRC) do the right thing when COW-ing lazy-validated tiles that haven't
been validated yet.  I looked at it for ages and could never find the
bug.

As far as I could tell the projection tilemanager was the only source
of tiles that we were potentially trying to COW which actually used
the tile system's ability to validate lazily (tiles allow callbacks
for populating their pixels the first time the tiles are ref'd).  Well
that's how it was last time I looked into tile management, for all I
know the 1.3 tree uses Calvin's COW-manager which was looking
pretty good a hundred years ago but possibly daunting to adapt
to the trunk (even back then).

--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam@xxxxxxxx   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
*camZZZ> Aspirin: weirdly, last night I dreamed that you moved to the