Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP Image Size Limits

Hi,

"Kevin Myers" <KevinMyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Thanks very much to Sven for this info.  Well, since many of my images are
> rather large (in the 400 to 600 megapixel range), maybe I can provide some
> of the additional large image testing that is needed.  But I have one
> problem.  I'm running Windows, and can't seem to figure out how to get
> started building the GIMP under Windows.  Presently I am using the binary
> installable 1.2.4 distribution, but I can't even figure out how to compile
> it using the source from Tor's web site.  As descibed in my previous post, I
> can't even get through the first step, which is running ./configure .  So,
> until I can solve this problem, there is no way that I can start trying to
> work with 1.3 .  Any help getting my build process off the ground would be
> greatly appreciated.

in that case it would probably be easier to install a real OS on that
machine. Fortunately multiple OSs may coexist happily.

> One more question related to size limits:  How many bytes per pixel does the
> pixel cache use?  I have a sneaking suspicion that the answer is 5 based on
> the image sizes where I'm running into problems.  That's what ImageMagick
> uses for its pixel cache, and I run into problem at almost exactly the same
> image size.

the answer is 1 for grayscale/indexed, 3 for RGB. Add another byte
if your image has an alpha channel and another 4 bytes for the
projection. The latter used to allocated copy-on-write at some
point. Unfortunately this feature has been disabled (at least to my
knowledge); thus the memory for the display projection is always
allocated.

Salut, Sven