Re: [Gimp-developer] Yes, you can help even if you can't code.

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:16:51PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Daniel Egger <degger@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > So what we need is:
> > [...]
> > - XSLT files and CSS stylesheets to produce XHTML which looks nice in
> >   nowadays webbrowsers
> > - XSLT files which produce output which is grokkable by the (new?)
> >   helpbrowser plugin; That means we either need simple HTML files for
> >   something like the current plugin or some other (new?) simple
> >   fileformat which allows for additional features which also need to be
> >   defined. This has to be discussed with the person(s) who will code
> >   that (and that certainly won't be me).
>
> I'd say we port the help_browser plug-in to GtkHtml2. It's able to
> render quite sophisticated stuff (see http://gtkhtml2.codefactory.se/).
> Porting the plug-in should be pretty straightforward. The API is not
> compatible but similar.

Note that gtkhtml2 is suffering from a lack of maintenance at the
moment. The only major project that is currently using it is Mikael
Hallendal's Yelp (help browser for GNOME 2). However, Mikael has just
recently posted some mail to gnome-doc-list and desktop-devel saying
that he is thinking of not using it.

GtkHtml(1) is currently being ported to GNOME 2. The main differences
are that GtkHtml has editing, but is not accessible and does not support
CSS or DOMs, while GtkHtml2 is not editable but is accessible with CSS
and DOM support.

It's unclear whether anybody will come out of the woodwork and say they
will maintain GtkHtml2, so you might want to wait a week or so before
making a decision in this regard.

Cheers,
Malcolm