Re: [Gimp-developer] Yes, you can help even if you can't code.

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 06:55:56PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ayose <zubzet@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > we will most likely need at least one XLST that extracts a much
> > > simpler format to be used in the About dialog.
> >
> > How "simpler"? Something like
> >
> >      name, author (email), comments
>
> all we need are simple list of names. Or do we want email addresses in
> the about dialog and the AUTHORS file? I think not. The transformation
> wouldn't be a real XSLT since what we need as output format is not
> actually XML. I'd like to generate the plain-text file AUTHORS as well
> as the header file app/gui/authors.h from the XML file.

Wait a moment, please. Who says that XSLT only works with XML?
With XSLT you can transform a XML file in everything: a plain-text,
HTML, a new XML or even in C source. You only need put
<xsl:output method="text"/> in the top-level.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#section-Text-Output-Method

> Commenting on your proposal, I'd say that it probably makes sense to
> organize the XML file by persons because we need more than only
> plug-ins.

So I was wrong

> We also want to list core developers, tool authors, help
> writers, web masters, screen designers, just everyone who contributed
> to The GIMP.

Well, imaging you want to know only his/her name and email, and put a
comment about he/she

The XML:

<people>
 <person>
  <name>the name</name>
  <work><!-- here: core develp, tool authors, help writer...--></work>
  <email>email</email>
  <comment>A little comment</comment>
 </person>

</people>

For every person will be a <person> entry. And, for instance, if you want
to get a list like

name1, work1
name2, work2
name3, work3
[...]

The XSLT will be

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>

<xsl:output method="text" />

<xsl:template match="people">
 <xsl:for-each select="person">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="name"/><xsl:text>,</xsl:text>
  <xsl:apply-templates select="work"/><xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
 </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

There are a lot of chars, but the code is simple. :)

Of course, with the same XML you can get a more detailed list about
people.

--
Ayose Cazorla León
Debian GNU/Linux - setepo