Re: [Gimp-developer] Size entry widgets..

* Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert@xxxxxxxxxx> [020327 16:10]:
> Howdy.
>
> I have been thinking about this thing for a while already.. pretty often
> I have a situation like this:
>
>         * I will need to design a flyer or something, and try to fit it
>           on a common papersize so it can be photocopied/color-lasered
>           easily
>         * But the size is too large, so I rather design a "cut A4 in
>           three" (or US Letter depending where it will be printed)
>         * A4 is 209.9028mm x 297.0389mm
>         * My design would then be 209.9028mm x (297.0389mm / 3) which
>           makes a nice flyer shape
>         * It would be very very handy if I could type that into the New
>           Image entry;  Height: [ 297/3 ] millimeters and Gimp would do
>           the division for me and round it to the nearest pixel.
>         * It would allow the very basic math like add, subtract,
>           multiply and divide. This would be very useful for situations
>           like the above.
>         * Yosh said it would be doable, not impossible. And told me to
>           post to the list instead of dreaming of it on IRC :-)

I have been doing some posters/flyers as well,. some of my experiences are:

	* Most printers won't fill the whole A4 area.
		(thus being able to 'register' some default sizes as well
		 could be an idea)
	* My workflow for posters that will be printed on a laser printer is:
		- make a new grayscale image with the same size ratio as A4/A3
		- fullfil the design
		- scale the image up to the full res of the 'printable area'
		- manually newsprintifying, dithering etc. the image down to
		1bit

Some presets that gimp should include:
		papersizes: legal, a*, printable( legal, a.. )
		video: pal, ntsc, 1024x768 ...
		dias: (I had to make a 35mm diases for print)
		misc: icon sizes, default web-banner sizes
		custom: users own

-pippin

--
                        .~.    The mind is its own place,and in