Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Menus, keybinding et al, first draft

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 12:19:46PM +0100, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:
> As any looked into how all this will work with different window
> managers?  What window managers grab what keys and can the window
> managers easily be configured to use alt if gimp isn't using it?
>
> It is important to check this since we will otherwise end up with lots
> of whiny users who can't figure out why thiings aren't happening like
> expected.

In my opinion it is impossible to make sure that we do not collide with
window manager shortcuts. They are far too different and far too
configurable.

I think it boils down to: Tell the user that there might be
interferences with the window manager and that keys in GIMP can be
configured dynamically.

> Also we will need a howto on the web site about making the different
> window managers play nice with gimp.

That would be useful though. What would also be useful is to make _all_
keybindings in GIMP configurable (like SHIFT, CTRL, ALT etc.). So I
would be able to assign Meta1 to GIMP-ALT and Meta2 to
WindowManager-ALT.

> Also, are there other apps that use shortcuts like we do that might be
> using a different set of shift-alt-ctrl keys?  Just thinking it would be
> good to be consistent with what other apps are doing so users don't have
> to change their window managers back and forth when switching apps.

As far as I know, there are no wide-spread shortcuts involving two
modifier keys. It boils down to something like CTRL-Q: Quit, CTRL-W:
Close window, CTRL-N: New - very basic stuff.

CTRL-ALT and similar bindings are seldomly used by applications and
often used by window managers.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/