Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Re: Opening Photoshop Files

Hi,

> Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero (famrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Um, another question: can be kerning and such things be controlled in
> > Pango or is all auto? PS allows tweaking the fonts, and people ask for
> > it from time to time (found some tutorials to confirm). Grepping pango
> > source I have, it only has pango_ft2_font_get_kerning, not set. Or is
> > it done by other methods?

Pango has no API to control kerning or hinting. Both are enabled by
default. If it turns out we need this special tweaking we will have
to submit a patch for Pango. Since the Pango API is finally frozen
that will most probably have to wait for the next major version.

For total control over all settings, there's still gimp-freetype...

> Additional question: Is it possible to get the glyph outlines from
> the already typesetted text? I am thinking about text->path for
> more complicated text (arabic, hebrew) where the outlines of the
> single glyphs don't help much...

I'm concentrating on getting the framework layed out at the moment
but I think it is possible to access the FreeType fonts directly as
well as the layouting information from Pango. That should allow us
to create bezier paths from the fonts just like we do in
gimp-freetype.

Salut, Sven