[Gimp-developer] Re: Re: Opening Photoshop Files

leonardr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (2002-02-10 at 2127.56 -0500):
> >The advantage of using Pango on top of Freetype2 is that it takes care
> >of all the ugly details of glyph positioning and shaping.
>          Yup, Pango is great stuff and definitely the way to go.  That
> should make for some VERY NICE text support in future Gimps.    Now you'll
> just have to support PSD Text Layers ;).

Question: does Pango allow raw access to fonts? So you can choose Foo
font from Bar foundry or Baz foundry, instead of ignoring foundries
and choose which Foo to use randomly / by order of config or foundry
alphabetic name? IOW, does Pango allow fine control or the abstraction
is untouchable? Cos while in Windows it does not seem normal, in X it
is normal to have the same font from different foundries.

Um, another question: can be kerning and such things be controlled in
Pango or is all auto? PS allows tweaking the fonts, and people ask for
it from time to time (found some tutorials to confirm). Grepping pango
source I have, it only has pango_ft2_font_get_kerning, not set. Or is
it done by other methods?

GSR