[Gimp-developer] Re: Raphael's edits, was Re: test this howto now

On 2002-01-21 at 1033.24 -0800, syngin typed this mail:
> On 21 Jan 2002 19:20:13 +0100
> Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> sent:
>
> > Hi Carol,
> >
> > Carol Spears <cspears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > but while all of these different shell commands are being added to the
> how-to,> > maybe we should make a "how to compile the gimp tar-ball" for
> people who are> > having problems with their distributions GIMP or
> supporting libraries. >
> > ack. The "Compile The GIMP from CVS" HOWTO should refer to the
> > "Compile The GIMP from source" HOWTO and focus on the possible
> > pitfalls that compiling from CVS adds (cvs, aclocal, autoconf,
> > automake).
> >

> > Salut, Sven
>
> I'd be happy to write a "HOWTO compile a package from source, specifically
> The GIMP" if no-one else will do it.

syngin, can we make a date and write this how to together?

i just have a feeling that i can fake it like that first time again better
than you.  i have some ideas about what should go into it.

we can write gimp-howto-build-stable-tarball together, assume it is being used
by a person who has never compiled a package before.  step through compiling
one library as an example (i say png since some distro or another had trouble
with this lately and also png is so pc).  make them read the freakin first
paragraph of man ldconfig.  and talk about why you choose /usr or /usr/local
as a destination for The GIMP and what the pitfalls of each decision might be.

when is a good time for you?  we can build it and write it together, maybe?

carol