Re: [Gimp-developer] Current work

On Wed, 05 Dec 2001, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 07:36:25PM +1030, syngin wrote:
> > Perhaps this is an option if we can list all the main Operating Systems
> > that The GIMP is used on, and locate a common application accross all of
> > them that can adequately render XML. Linux -> Mozilla, Windows -> I.E.
> > etc. (making the rash assumption that all Linux users have Moz ;)
>
> I'm not sure this is a good assumption. I, for one, don't have Mozilla
> on my system (but I may be the exception, I don't know -- I live in a
> sheltered world).

I don't think that I live in a sheltered world, and the vast majority
of the systems on which I use or maintain the Gimp do not have Mozilla
(or any XML browser, for that matter).  I maintain several networked
installations of the Gimp for my department at work (a lot of machines
running Solaris 8, Solaris 2.6 and various versions of Linux).  I also
have several versions installed on Linux laptops (also at work) and on
my personal Linux computers at home.  Among these, less than half of
the Linux hosts have Mozilla, and none of the Solaris hosts have it.

Some of the Linux or Solaris machines are simply not powerful enough
to run Mozilla (not enough memory or not enough CPU power).  They can
run the Gimp as long as the user is mostly working on small images,
which is OK for doing web stuff.  They can also run the 4.x version of
Netscape, which is less demanding than Netscape 6.x or Mozilla.  Most
users of these relatively old computers are happy with that.  Adding a
requirement on Mozilla would simply make it impossible for them to use
the help files.

-Raphael