Re: [Gimp-developer] Current work

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 07:36:25PM +1030, syngin wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 10:19, degger@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > On  5 Dec, Sven Neumann wrote:
> >
> > > it might be a good idea to keep the help pages in a format that can
> > > be read with standard browsers ?!
> >
> > XML is a standard, if you have Mozilla for instance you can the the
> > transformations in realtime; that's not my point though. At the moment
> > it seems like overkill to fire the DocBook source through Jade, import
> > the HTML file by file into the GIMP tree just to have the helpbrowser
> > or a different one decipher the crappy output. If we could browse the
> > source directly on any platform and get additional features we'd be
> > way off and if someone actually cares about HTML pages he/she should
> > feel free to get the HTML package or PDF or whatever.
>
> Perhaps this is an option if we can list all the main Operating Systems
> that The GIMP is used on, and locate a common application accross all of
> them that can adequately render XML. Linux -> Mozilla, Windows -> I.E.
> etc. (making the rash assumption that all Linux users have Moz ;)

I'm not sure this is a good assumption. I, for one, don't have Mozilla
on my system (but I may be the exception, I don't know -- I live in a
sheltered world).

On the other hand, if you have XML sources and stylesheets for marking
them up, then any application that can take *xml + *.xsl and turn them
into whatever output format you want is sufficient. And they are going
to be a dime a dozen on Linux (people have indicated Mozilla already
does it, xsltproc from lib-xslt already does this and can be piped to
any web browser pretty easily, etc).

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
I've got a mind like a... a... what's that thing called?