Re: [Gimp-developer] Professional use of Gimp (was: Developers and users (was: Bug week like thing for GIMP?))

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 02:33:22PM +0100, Lourens Veen wrote:

> Yes, but then we're still talking about printers here. The colour posters I
> designed were printed as well (on a "digital press" as they called it, which
> from what I gather is just an industrial strength printer), but that only
> goes up to A3, and the colours aren't that good (especially the orang bits
> came out a bit faded). All the other stuff my university printed for the
> anniversary was four-colour printed, which means CMYK. The website at
> http://www.bobs.co.uk/print/4colourProcess.html suggests that most stuff is
> CMYK too.

My housemate works for one of the larger prepress firms in the
country.  From what she's said to me, I feel safe in stating that
virtually all commercial printing is CMYK, CMYK plus one or
two spot colors, or one, two, or three spot colors alone.  Spot colors
are virtually always drawn alone (the graphics program is not expected
to generate spot layers from an RGB source).

Doing CMS-based color matching is probably hopeless: there are too
many patents and trade secrets in this area that we will have
virtually no chance of negotiating licenses that will not interfere
with the GPL.

Using channels as a substitute for spot layers is not entirely
acceptable because channels are always above all layers of the image.
This may not always be desirable.

Kelly