Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: patch for gimp/po/fr.po

Hi,

Kelly Martin <kmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 29 Aug 2001 14:44:49 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> said:
>
> >>Has this been reported as a bug in GTK?
>
> >Huh? It's not a bug, it's a feature. All strings in GTK+-2.0 are
> >UTF-8 encoded and the application has to assure that only valid UTF-8
> >strings end up at the toolkit level. This is the only reasonable
> >solution to the encoding mess and it works just perfect.  It allows
> >for example to have different languages with different "native"
> >encodings in the same widget. Why do you consider this a bug?
>
> In my opinion, a library which crashes when fed inappropriate external
> data is buggy by definition.

actually the current version in CVS does not crash if compiled with
debugging support (a few days ago it used to crash but this has been
fixed) but spews warnings. The fact that only valid UTF-8 strings
should be passed to GTK+-2.0 is well documented, so if a crash occurs
due to this, it's an application bug and needs to be fixed at the
application level. For simple performance reasons this is IMO a
perfectly valid approach.

Salut, Sven