Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: patch for gimp/po/fr.po

Hi,

Kelly Martin <kmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 29 Aug 2001 10:59:06 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> said:
>
> >One more thing to consider: Localisation in GIMP HEAD is considerably
> >broken since we have to switch all the po files to UTF-8. You can
> >create some nice crashes if you try to start GIMP from CVS HEAD with
> >LC_ALL != C since GTK+-2.0 doesn't like to be passed invalid UTF-8
> >strings.
>
> Has this been reported as a bug in GTK?

Huh? It's not a bug, it's a feature. All strings in GTK+-2.0 are
UTF-8 encoded and the application has to assure that only valid
UTF-8 strings end up at the toolkit level. This is the only
reasonable solution to the encoding mess and it works just perfect.
It allows for example to have different languages with different
"native" encodings in the same widget. Why do you consider this a
bug?

Salut, Sven