Re: [Gimp-developer] Thin lines using pencil

On 29 Aug 2001, at 11:41, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Grzegorz Borowiak <grzes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I have a problem with drawing lines with pencil. Horizontal and
> > vertical lines are OK, but slash lines are too thick. In zoom, they
> > look like:
> >
> > ###
> >   ###
> >     ##
> >      ###
> >
> > and IMO they should look like:
> >
> > ##
> >   ##
> >     #
> >      ##
>
> IMO what they should look like is:
>
>  #
>   #
>    #
>     #
>
> essentially what we do when drawing lines is we move the brush along
> the line and draw points in equal distances. If the point does not
> fall exactly on the pixel grid, it gets wider. This is bad and thin
> lines drawn with the pencil really look akward. A possible solution
> would be to implement the pencil tool totally different from the
> paintbrush.

There's a similar problem with the paint brush:

If I draw several connected lines with the paint brush, the joints
aren't always perfect. For instance, instead of:

          *******
        *******
**************
************
*********

you get:

          *******
        *******
*****  *******
******   ***
*****

(exagerated for clarity)

I don't think it is that big of a problem, because you would probably
use the paintbrush more in photo like drawings than in line drawings,
but maybe I am wrong about that, and this seemed a good place to
mention this behaviour anyway. (Feel free to mention it is a
'feature'.) :-)

The 'problem' is twofold: one, the behaviour may not be as expected,
and two (the bigger problem IMHO), the behaviour is not consistent:
depending on the angle of the two connected lines, you get a clean
connection or a fairly break.

HTH,

--
branko collin