Re: [Gimp-developer] Thin lines using pencil

Hi,

Grzegorz Borowiak <grzes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I have a problem with drawing lines with pencil. Horizontal and vertical
> lines are OK, but slash lines are too thick. In zoom, they look like:
>
> ###
>   ###
>     ##
>      ###
>        ###
>          ##
>           ###
>             ###
>
> and IMO they should look like:
>
> ##
>   ##
>     #
>      ##
>        ##
>          #
>           ##
>             ##

IMO what they should look like is:

 #
  #
   #
    #
     #
      #
       #

essentally what we do when drawing lines is we move the brush along
the line and draw points in equal distances. If the point does not
fall exactly on the pixel grid, it gets wider. This is bad and thin
lines drawn with the pencil really look akward. A possible solution
would be to implement the pencil tool totally different from the
paintbrush. Instead of drawing brush pixmaps onto the canvas at
equidistant spots along the line as the paintbrush does, the pencil
tool could use a real line-drawing algorithm (Bresenham). This would
imply that our brushes couldn't be used with the pencil tool any
longer since this algorithm would only work for rounded or square
pencil tips (or am I wrong here?). I really like this idea since the
old functionality of the pencil tool could be easily implemented in
the paintbrush (all we'd have to do is to add a "Hard edge" option
like the Eraser has) and having a real line-drawing tool would be a
major benefit. Any volunteers to implement such a beast?

Salut, Sven