Re: [Gimp-developer] Thin lines using pencil

Grzegorz Borowiak (grzes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Simon Budig wrote:
>
> > Please note, that these problems are already solved in the Gimps Paintcore.
> > When you draw a line with the Paintbrush you will see that it is perfectly
> > antialiased and the "accumulating color" problem is solved too (you can
> > even disable this in the tool options).
> >
> > In fact it is this generality that creates the problems with the Pencil...
>
> Yes, paintbrush lines work well. But with my approach, I suppose both
> paintbrush and pencil lines would work well.
>
> Or maybe as extraordinary exception for pencils use just Bresenham? It
> will less general, but much neater. And implementing Bresenham is
> extremely simple to do.

As I said: I am not too familiar with the paintcore. I don't know how
easy it is to remove all subsampling magic - maybe it is as easy as
feeding a new set of coordinates to the paintcore.

> What is done when I click with pencil on image? Those complex actions are
> performed, and a dot is a result. What's a problem with implementing my
> tool_t function as just triggering all those actions on certain pixel?

The Pencil is a brush based tool (try selecting another brush and you will
see the difference). So it is not simply a "dot" as a result.
It is basically the same as the paintbrush, but with a different
interpretation of the mask of a brush. So implementing your scheme will break
the way the paintbrush works. I think it is *way* easier to just change the
way how the coordinates for the pencil are computed.

> > This certainly won't make it into the 1.2-versions of Gimp. However,
> > I think we should attack the problem in CVS-HEAD. But please be aware, that
> > there is *much* work to do until a first 1.3.0 release happens.
>
> :-(
>
> IMHO ugly pencil lines are a major drawback of GIMP...

I agree with you there, but we have to be very careful to determine,
what is worthy enough to enter the stable series, since there already
is lots of printed documentation. Changing some fundamental interna
of a tool might also introduce bugs. It may be worth a try, but I doubt
that this will be done in 1.2.

Sorry if this sounds disappointing, but it would have been easier to
introduce this if you had asked for this a year ago (or so)...

Bye,
        Simon

--
      Simon.Budig@xxxxxxxxxxx       http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/