Re: [Gimp-developer] UI remarks

Branko Collin wrote:

> A user is _never_ an idiot. If you feel that way, you may indeed as
> well only develop for yourself. Once you give a copy to a non-
> programming friend or neighbour for the first time, however, you have
> (IMHO) some moral obligation to care for the user friendliness of
> your program.
>
> This of course does not mean that you have to cater for those that
> are too lazy to indulge in some minimal form of self-education.
> Unfortunately, it is hard to find out if that is the case when
> receiving a stupid question from a user.

I was working on a web site for a good friend, when one day we spatted
and I was replaced by that Front Page Maker (or whatever it is).  It
took her approximately seven months to figure out how to change the
background color of her web pages.  I had to type it in for her by
hand.

I get frustrated using Windows apps.  They are not set up like I expect
them to be.  Perhaps, it will be good for the Windows users to get used
to linux apps?

Ultimately, user ignorance is the issue.  It seems to me that the more
ignorant the Windows user is, the stronger Micro$oft is.  While linux
benefits more as the ignorant users get smarter.

Perhaps it might be better to compare Gimp to the Windows free software?

How about putting one of those little day counters in the gimp start
up?  So that the user has to acknowledge how many days s/he has used the
software for free.  I had to wait for that dumb little paint shop pro
program to count past 2000 once.  And that "free" thing could not hold a
candle to Gimp.