Re: [Gimp-developer] Re: Re: Tensor (= 2-D) Gradients - continued

Shlomi Fish wrote:

> On 31 May 2001, Bernhard Herzog wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to put code into the public domain in Israel? European
> > copyright law (which does not apply to Israel) does not allow that for
> > instance.
> >

> Frankly, I don't know whether Israeli Law allows that. For that matter, I
> did not know that European law did not allow such a thing, so this comes
> as a surprise for me.

HUH? Public Domain simply means that all copyrights are voided by the
original author. They used to publish stuff in the public domain all the
time in the early days of hobby computing. And now you say that this
can't be done under European Law? Is there a European Copyright law
anyway? I thought this was up to the individual countries.

At any rate, you can always use a BSD/X style license, which may be even
better since it also has some protection for the author (if it breaks,
don't sue me) built in. I'm not sure how that is with public domain
software though.

Lourens